One of the most influential People of the Century (Time
STEPHEN R. COVEY BIO
Recognized as one of Time magazine’s 25 most influential Americans, Dr. Stephen R. Covey is one of the world’s foremost leadership authorities, organizational experts, and thought leaders.
Dr. Covey is the author of acclaimed books, including the international best seller, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, which has sold more than 20 million copies in 38 languages throughout the world. Other best sellers authored by Dr. Covey include First Things First, Principle-Centered Leadership, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families, and The 8th Habit: From Effectiveness to Greatness.
Dr. Covey’s most recently released books include Everyday Greatness: Inspiration for a Meaningful Life (2006), The Leader in Me: How Schools and Parents Around the World Are Inspiring Greatness, One Child at a Time (2008), Predictable Results in Unpredictable Times (2009), Great Work, Great Career (2009), and The 3rd Alternative: Solving Life’s Most Difficult Problems (2011).
- In 2002, Forbes named The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People one of the top 10 most influential management books ever.
- A survey by Chief Executive magazine recognized The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People as one of the two most influential books of the 20th century.
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People audiobook on tape is the best-selling nonfiction audio in history, selling more than 1.5 million copies.
- Over two million copies of First Things First have been sold. Simon & Schuster expressed the opinion, “…First Things First is the best-selling time-management book ever.”
- Dr. Covey’s book The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families was released in October 1997 and is the #1 best-selling hardcover book on family.
- The 8th Habit was named Best Business Book of 2005 by Soundview Executive Summaries.
- 2003 Fatherhood Award from the National Fatherhood Initiative.
- Speaker of theYear in 1999.
- The Sikh’s 1998 International Man of Peace Award.
- The National Entrepreneur of the Year Lifetime Achievement Award for Entrepreneurial Leadership.
Dr. Covey’s organizational legacy is Covey Leadership Center. On May 30, 1997, a merger of Covey Leadership Center with Franklin Quest created FranklinCovey Co. Dr. Covey is cofounder of FranklinCovey, the leading global consulting and training leader in the areas of strategy execution, leadership, customer loyalty, sales performance, school transformation, and individual effectiveness, with 44 offices in 147 countries. FranklinCovey shares Dr. Covey’s vision, discipline, and passion to enable greatness in people and organizations everywhere.
In February 2010, Dr. Covey joined the Utah State University Jon M. Huntsman School of Business faculty as a tenured, full professor and the first incumbent of the Jon M. Huntsman Presidential Chair in Leadership.
Dr. Covey holds a B.S. in Business Administration from the University of Utah in Salt Lake City, an M.B.A. in Business Administration from Harvard University, and a doctorate from Brigham Young University. He has also received 10 honorary doctorates. He has made teaching principle-centered living and principle-centered leadership his life’s work.
Dr. Covey lives with his wife Sandra in Provo, Utah. He is the father of nine, a grandfather of 52, and great-grandfather of two.